From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] KDM: Keyboard problems after X update
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 13:04:52
1 Hi there!
2
3 I'm in the middle of a world update, but X stuff seems to be updated now.
4 The problem is that the keyboard does not work as before.
5
6 It's a german keyboard. Here are expected keys, and the results:
7
8 ß \
9 ö [
10 ä ]
11 ü @
12
13 Keys like @ (Alt-Gr q), | (Alt-Gr <) and ~ (Alt-Gr +} do not work at all.
14 Same goes for console switching via Ctrl-Alt-Fn.
15
16 There is a warning message in the X log, I assume this has to do with it:
17
18 [...]
19 (**) Option "CoreKeyboard"
20 (**) Keyboard0: Core Keyboard
21 (**) Option "Protocol" "standard"
22 (**) Keyboard0: Protocol: standard
23 (**) Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
24 (**) Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
25 (**) Keyboard0: XkbRules: "xorg"
26 (**) Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
27 (**) Keyboard0: XkbModel: "pc105"
28 (**) Option "XkbLayout" "de"
29 (**) Keyboard0: XkbLayout: "de"
30 (**) Option "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
31 (**) Keyboard0: XkbVariant: "nodeadkeys"
32 (**) Option "CustomKeycodes" "off"
33 (**) Keyboard0: CustomKeycodes disabled
34 (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Keyboard0" (type: KEYBOARD)
35 (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse0" (type: MOUSE)
36 (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "NVIDIA Event Handler" (type:
37 Other)
38 (WW) Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap
39 [...]
40
41 There are quite some references to this message, but many are unresolved.
42 Someone installed xkbutils, this did not help me, and I do not see why it
43 should. Some people xmodmap a lot, but this would be a workaround, while
44 I am interested in a cleaner solution.
47 The weird thing is that this happens only when using KDM, not if I startx
48 from the text console. Does this ring a bell for someone?
51 Section "InputDevice"
52 Identifier "Keyboard0"
53 Driver "kbd"
54 Option "XKbModel" "pc105"