From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Preparing a laptop for sale
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 00:20:53
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 16 December 2009 18:49:07 Grant wrote:
3 >
4 >> I'm about to sell my old laptop and I'd like to wipe out the data and
5 >> install any flavor of Linux via USB (the CD drive doesn't work any
6 >> more). I've got a bootable USB key that will get me into Gentoo. How
7 >> would you take it from there? I'm looking for something quick and
8 >> easy. My data isn't too sensitive, but I'd like to do some type of
9 >> wiping so it isn't all just sitting there with a deleted flag or
10 >> however that works.
13 > First I'd mount the partitions and then emerge/use shred:
14 >
15 > # shred -v -n 25 -z -u /mnt/a_partition
16 >
17 > Then I would delete old partitions, create new partitions and format them as
18 > required. If you're really paranoid about your data (which from what you're
19 > telling me you're not) you can also use dd to randomly overwrite partition
20 > tables, but I would probably not bother.
21 >
22 > Now, there may be more modern tools to do all this with a single button, but I
23 > haven't looked into it in any detail.
24 >
25 > HTH.
28 Also note that shred, at least the last I read, doesn't work to well on
29 some file systems. I know this used to be true for reiserfs and some
30 other journalized file systems.
31
32 I'm thinking the dd thing may be the best way here. I don't think it
33 cares about file systems when it does its thing.
34
35 Dale
36