From: Man Shankar <man.ee.gen@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Awesome vs Xmonad
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 11:06:58
1 On 17:11 Mon 22 Dec , Andreas Niederl wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Man Shankar wrote:
5 > > Hello,
6 > >
7 > > I want to try out the tiling window managers. I would want to know the
8 > > experiences of the users about awesome and xmonad. Primarily i would
9 > > like to know which of those two tiling WMs has worked for you guys. The
10 > > hurdles you encountered and the gains you got thereof.
11 > >
12 > > Currently i am a happy e16 user, but the fact that the tiling WMs
13 > > "manage" the windows makes me attracted to them. Please comment.
16 > I switched from e16 to xmonad last summer and haven't regret it so far.
17 > One important thing though is to get used to the tiling paradigm, i.e.
18 > letting the wm do all the resize and positioning work. I suggest you try
19 > it some time and see if it fits you.
20 > Personally I started using it only on my home pc while I kept e16 on the
21 > laptop for work until I couldn't resist a complete switch to it anymore.
22
23 Thanks everybody for replying. I am sorry i am late on this as i was having
24 trouble with a hard disk (thats for later). In the uptime that i got, i
25 have managed to figure out that the 'fairh' tiling algo suits me. I have also
26 realized that now only seldom i use the mouse and also e16. Although i miss the
27 native transparency of e16 but apart from that i have absolutely nothing against
28 awesome. When i have time (someday) i will xcompmgr a try. Hopefully a git ebuild
29 of it exists somewhere.
32 > I've recently also started using awesome in a few virtual machines,
33 > mainly due to the large size of the xmonad dependencies (GHC takes up
34 > quite some space).
35 > >From my point of view they both look fairly the same with awesome having
36 > a few more features (tagging, widgets).
37 >
38 > It also helps to regard the configuration file (xmonad and >=
39 > awesome-3.0) as the main program, e.g. my xmonad.hs looks a bit like a
40 > Haskell program where different modules get imported and the main window
41 > manager module loaded at the end.
42 > You can do quite a lot with those two.
43 >
44 > Aside from that, the main difference between them are the programming
45 > languages they're written in because you have to use it for the
46 > configuration file.
47 > Awesome uses Lua which is a simple but powerful imperative scripting
48 > language and xmonad uses Haskell, an advanced functional programming
49 > language which many consider as rather hard to learn.
50 >
51 > Personally, I didn't know anything about Haskell before using xmonad and
52 > I have to admit that I had a few very hard times with it when I wanted
53 > to do some advanced (or even simple) configuration changes. But once you
54 > wind your head around the functional paradigm (and all those operators
55 > and monads) you can do a lot with it.
56 > Have a look at the xmonad config archive[1] for some examples.
59 I agree for someone new to the functional paradigm(me!!) it is initially
60 daunting. But once i am against such a situation i try to pick up someone
61 else's config and start from there. And besides, to use xmonad you just
62 perhaps need to remember your key-shortcuts, once a config file is set.
63 There is not much to interfere with these tiling beauties!!
66 > If you're going to use awesome I'd recommend having a look at
67 > x11-misc/dmenu as I didn't see any default integration of it in the
68 > awesome config (though I might have missed it).
71 > Regards,
72 > Andi
73 >
74 > [1] http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmonad/Config_archive
75
76 Oh dmenu is a beauty, used it during my openbox days; who needs fancy
77 menus?? In awesome-3.1 i have
78
79 keybinding({ modkey }, "z", function () awful.util.spawn("exec `dmenu_path | dmenu -b`") end):add()
80
81 works well.
82
83 So, awesome it is for the moment until I get the itch to switch !!
84
85 By the way Greetings and Happy New Year:2009 to everybody.
89 Regards,
90 Man Shankar <man.ee.gen(at)gmail.com>