From: "Arttu V." <arttuv@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] shared portage tree
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 19:22:35
1 > In this particular case I want to use a machine with arc=amd64
2 > as a nfs server and share its tree with several x86 machines.
3
4 I ran a similar NFS setup couple years back when breaking my teeth with
5 Gentoo. Had intermittent problems with the NFS locks, and speed was slow
6 too, so gave up. Though, it might've been just me and my poor NFS setup
7 "skills", or some settings in my kernel. From other people's comments
8 and links I noticed they now have some helpful scripts. Wish I had seen
9 them earlier or been able to type out some of my own. :)
10
11 I switched the server over to providing local Gentoo rsync mirroring for
12 the LAN instead:
13
14 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Local_Rsync_Mirror
15
16 I combine this with Squid (proxy) and a few gigs of proxy disk cache on
17 the server end to have the server perform as a complete buffer/cache
18 between my LAN boxen and the external Interweb world. And it doubles as
19 the proxy for "regular" browsing, too.
20
21 HTH. YMMV. HAND.
24 arttu v.
26 Connect to the next generation of MSN Messenger
27 http://imagine-msn.com/messenger/launch80/default.aspx?locale=en-us&source=wlmailtagline--