From: "Fatih Tümen" <fthtmn+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: USB Disk failure - Buffer I/O error on device sda2, logical block 1289 lost page write due to I/O error on sda2
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2010 19:37:44
1 2010/10/9 Fatih Tümen <fthtmn+gentoo@×××××.com>:
2 > I am not sure what may have caused the issue but there are two things
3 > I suspect that may have caused this.
4 > 1. I usually forget the device is mounted and sda1 partition swappedon
5 > while suspending/sleeping the system. I run fsck.ext3 on the
6 > complaining dirty partitions.
7 > 2. I accidentally ran grub-install /dev/sda instead of /dev/hda last
8 > week and interrupted immediately. There is no sign of a problem in the
9 > logs for a week. I had install grub on sda couple of years ago  but
10 > hadnt used it for a long time.
11 >
12 > I thought this may be related because interrupting the grub-install
13 > left in complete mbr. So I ran grub-install on sda again but it could
14 > not find the disk[3].
15 >
16 > I cannot think of anything else to try. I hope you can suggest me a
17 > way to recover the device or to extract data from it.
18
19 The attached file should be better for viewing the logs.
22 Fatih

messages_usb_disk_failure_20101009_2038.txt text/plain