From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] aterm do crash displaying long files, konsole don't: swappiness problem?
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 10:32:22
1 Hans-Werner Hilse wrote:
2
3 >Hi,
4 >
5 >On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 10:52:06 +0200
6 >Fabrizio Prosperi <fprosper@×××××××××.it> wrote:
10 >>Doing a long emerge -up world aterm kept crashing and I thought it was
11 >>an emerge problem, but then I focused on a particular emerge
12 >>(mozilla-firefox) and I realised it was it.
13 >>
14 >>Just doing cat /var/log/portage/<that-log>.log
15 >>is making aterm crash again, but not konsole.
16 >>
17 >>I guess I something with swappiness settings, but how to fix it?
21 >Hm, don't know about aterm and its memory management, but that's for
22 >sure: _swappiness_ should have absolutely nothing to do with this. The
23 >swap management isn't up to userspace applications, that's kernel's
24 >matter. Well, there might be some small probability left that your swap
25 >management is somewhat hosed due to bugs in the kernel but that is very
26 >unlikely and wouldn't explain why these conditions only occur with
27 >aterm and only affect aterm.
28 >
29 >-hwh
33 This may be a shot in the dark, since I don't use aterm, but can you
34 check /var/log/messages and see if maybe the kernel is killing aterm due
35 to excessive memory usage? The search string is "oom" for "out-of-memory".
36
37 -Richard
40 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list