From: Matti Nykyri <matti.nykyri@×××.fi>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] About to attempt EFI install, which modules to compile?
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 04:58:03
1 > On Feb 27, 2015, at 5:02, German <gentgerman@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi people. I am about to try today an EFI gentoo install with sysrecuecd. It is all more or less clear to me in the install docs, however I am not sure how to gather info about my hardware, which modules should be compiled when installing kernel manually. Is there a way to gather this info? What command should be issued to accomplish that? Also, I am sort of reluctant to compile kernel manually. Is this possible to use genkernel to install system in EFI mode or I must to use manual compilation? Thank you for your advice and suggestions.
4
5 Just did my first EFI install this week... So not a virgin anymore ;) I had an old system so I attached the new drive to that for partitioning and install.
6
7 You use gpt with uefi. You need to reserve one partition for UEFI. Set the type to EF00 and boot flag enabled (parted or gdisk can do this). Format to fat32.
8
9 Make a partition for gentoo and format it. Untar stage3 and portage snapshot to it (snapshot is faster than rsync). Chroot. Emerge portage and grub. I copied kernel from my old system to /boot. If you don't have this build a new one. Run grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg (mkdir if it doesn't exists. (http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2)
10
11 Install grub:
12 grub2-install --target=x86_64-uefi /to/your/partition
13
14 Then copy /boot/efi/EFI/gentoo/grubx64.efi to /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI
15
16 Many asus mb's have bug in efi and require BOOTX64.EFI to be lower case = bootx64.efi so rename it as necessary. My mb had that bug and a rename was needed even though fat should be case insensitive.
17
18 After this you can boot your new system and continue with the install :)
19
20 Further reading:
21 https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFIBooting
24 -Matti