From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How cam I get system to recognize MagicSysReq while in X gui?
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 04:59:00
1 On Dienstag, 18. Dezember 2007, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > I've figured out how to force a hard lockup on my system, by trying to
3 > log on to my ADSL service when the modem is switched off. Yeah, I know...
4 > Patient: Doctor, it hurts when I do that.
5 > Doctor: In that case... *DON'T DO THAT*.
6 >
7 > During one such lockup, I discovered that Magic SysRq doesn't work in
8 > X. For those of you who haven't heard of it...
9 > less /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sysrq.txt
10 >
11 > The feature that I wanted to access was the ability to force an
12 > emergency sync of the disks before powering off the system. This would
13 > require simultaneously pressing {ALT}{SysRq}s after which I want to
14 > force a boot with {ALT}{SysRq}b
17 the 'best' sequence is e-i-u-b (u = remount ro also syncs.. and leaves the fs
18 in a clean state).
19
20 To get the keyboard back from X try K (to sack X) or R (to pry it out of X
21 cold, dead fingers).
22
23 Another thing you can try: add something you want to be done (like switching
24 to a vt or a certain sysrq-key) to your acpid config and let acpid run. If
25 the keyboard hangs, just push the power button ...
26
27 for example:
28 event=.*
29 action=chvt 1
30
31 in /etc/acpi/events/default switches to vt1 if you push the power button.
32 Pretty usefull, if X is in deep shit mode again.
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list