From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Deprecated installed packages
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 07:45:28
1 On Thursday 20 May 2010 15:46:50 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Thu, 20 May 2010 14:07:49 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > > The root word it derives from basically means "to make smaller or
4 > > > less important".
5 > >
6 > > Actually, in the Mother Tongue, it means "to express disapproval
7 > > of" (I quote an Oxford English dictionary).
8 >
9 > You quote one of the three definitions in the OED. The second is
10 > "plead earnestly against", which applies here. The third is "pray
11 > against" which applies just before removal fro the tree :)
12
13 I don't have access to the OED; only to a NODE*, which gives only the
14 definition I quoted. I assume from that that the other two are minor
15 usages. And I still think "express disapproval of" is the meaning here.
16
17 * New Oxford Dictionary of English, which I have seen severe criticisms
18 of.
21 Rgds
22 Peter.