From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Is there a simple .pls audio mp3-playing app?
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 23:21:16
1 > Yes, audacious is closest replacement that I found in stable amd64
2 > tree. It has same philosophy as xmms.
3 >
4 > But it missing several features. For me it is mainly gapless output,
5 > xosd support and wide posibilites to control it via command line
6 > (like xmms-pipe). Consider also tons of plugins for xmms.
7 >
8 > I have emerged audacious to watch its development but I will stay
9 > with xmms as long as it will be possible.
10
11 Me too. I use mpg321 to play music files on my harddrive. I don't
12 need no steenkin gui for that. mc is a great file-browser that can run
13 in a true text console or an xterm. I have it set up to launch mpg321
14 when I press <ENTER> on an mp3 file.
15
16 I have one other need for an audioplayer. I'm a paying subscriber of
17 Live365, and I need a simple audio player to launch and play streams
18 direct off a .pls file. audacious falls flat on its face in this task.
19 The current version (1.1.2-r1) does *NOT* support mp3, or streaming mp3.
20 It requires a plugin package. The plugin package is keyword masked
21 ~x86. After unmasking the plugin package, I find that it requires a
22 higher version of audacious, which is also keyword masked ~x86. Etc,
23 etc., etc. Version 1.1.0 still supports mp3 directly, so I've
24 package-masked ">media-sound/audacious-1.1.0". But wait... there's
25 more... on at least one Live365 station, audacious plays at half speed,
26 and the singer's voice is way down low. xmms handles that station fine.
27
28 I tried RealPlayer. Unlike xmms and audacious, it can't keep up with
29 a 96 kbps audio stream, stuttering and buffering all the time. This is
30 on an AMDK8 3000+ with 2 gigs of RAM, running Blackbox, not some
31 underpowered machine running a resource-hogging "desktop environment".
34 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
35 My musings on technology and security at http://techsec.blog.ca
36 --
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list