From: Marco Costa <costa@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Cleaning up multiple man pages (how?)
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 14:20:59
1 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
2 > I've noticed that the whereis(1) command gives multiple results for
3 > some queries. For instance, "whereis lilo" gives me
4 >
5 > kevin@treat ~ $ whatis lilo
6 > lilo (8) - install boot loader
7 > lilo.conf [lilo] (5) - configuration file for lilo
8 > lilo (8) - install boot loader
9 > lilo.conf [lilo] (5) - configuration file for lilo
10 > lilo (8) - install boot loader
11 > lilo.conf [lilo] (5) - configuration file for lilo
12 > kevin@treat ~ $
13 >
14 > I surmise from this that there are multiple copies of the man pages
15 > in various historical hiding places. However, I can't get whereis
16 > or anything else to tell me where it found them. Is there some
17 > neat way to find the locations? I'd like to figure out which ones
18 > correspond to my actual software and to ditch the others.
21 Remove /var/cache/man (I don't have it anymore, so I am not really sure that this is the name) but it is the cause of the multiple entries.
22 Note that you will still have double entries for some pages, as they are POSIX and linux variants.
23
24 Regards,
25
26 Marco