From: Michael Jones <gentoo@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Console scrollback is back again!
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2021 15:30:45
1 On Tue, Apr 6, 2021 at 4:54 AM Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
2
3 > Hello, Michael.
4 >
5 > On Mon, Apr 05, 2021 at 18:08:58 -0500, Michael Jones wrote:
6 >
7 > [ .... ]
8 >
9 > > Without looking at the patch itself:
10 >
11 > > Have you considered something like kmscon as a userland alternative?
12 >
13 > To be honest, no. I wasn't really aware of it when I starting working on
14 > the Linux console.
15 >
16 > According to Wikipedia, the last release was in 2013, and development
17 > stopped altogether in 2015. The Gentoo package for it is masked.
20 Good points, and I can't speak to the code cleanliness of kmscon, or
21 potential security problems.
22
23 That being said, even though I was annoyed when the scrollback was removed
24 from the kernel, I do understand the reason for it being removed. It does
25 seem like the kind of functionality that would be better provided by
26 userspace.
29 > > I installed it on my laptop, and aside from not working with gpmd or
30 > > consolation for mouse support, it's a perfectly functional local tty.
31 >
32 > I suppose it's one of these programs that once working, pretty much
33 > carries on working for ever.
36 That's entirely possible :-)
37 Maybe someone (not necessarily you) will find the removal of the scrollback
38 buffer to be enough motivation to bring kmscon back to life as a project.