From: thegeezer <thegeezer@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fwd: Post-Installation Problem
Date: Thu, 08 May 2014 18:42:44
1 On 05/08/2014 05:29 PM, Hunter Jozwiak wrote:
2 > ---------- Forwarded message ----------
3 > From: Hunter Jozwiak <hunter.t.joz@×××××.com>
4 > Date: Thu, 8 May 2014 12:23:13 -0400
5 > Subject: Post-Installation Problem
6 > To: gentoo-users@l.g.o
7 >
8 > Hi all. I've been working on a Gentoo install for quite some time in
9 > tech class, but I've hit a road block. I compiled a Genkernel, and
10 > that went smooth. However, I tried to emerge espeakup, and I got
11 > errors about how modules weren't enabled. I edited /etc/conf.d/modules
12 > and added two lines:
13 > modules="CONFIG_SPEAKUP"
14 > modules="CONFIG_SPEAKUP_SYNTH_SOFT"
15 > And reemerged the espeakup software; same error message, and on
16 > reboot, no software speech. Am I enabling the modules in an incorrect
17 > manner? If so, how to I get them to work?
21 what you need to do is
22 # genkernel --menuconfig kernel
23 then make sure that speakup is selected
24
25 conf.d/modules is for kernel modules marked "m"
26 mostly, these are loaded when needed by programs or drivers as required,
27 but sometimes you want the module loaded in advance -- in that case you
28 list them in conf.d/modules