From: "G.Wolfe Woodbury" <redwolfe@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User Discussion <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Unable to start rpc-idmap after kernel update...
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 18:43:41
1 On 12/11/2011 12:21 PM, Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > Ok, I just need a sanity check...
3 >
4 > I just updated my kernel from 2.6.37-r4 to 3.0.6, and now am unable to
5 > mount a remote nfs filesystem (on a QNAP NFS) that has been working
6 > fine for years...
7 >
8 > I'm getting the following error:
9 >
10 > myhost : Sun Dec 11, 12:20:00 : ~
11 > # /etc/init.d/rpc.idmapd start
12 > * Starting idmapd ...
13 > * make sure DNOTIFY support is enabled ...
14 > [ !! ]
15 > * ERROR: rpc.idmapd failed to start
16 > myhost : Sun Dec 11, 12:20:03 : ~
17 > #
18 >
19 > what is confusing me is I have never had DNOTIFY support enabled (I
20 > only enable INOTIFY), and I simply did a makeoldconfig when
21 > upgrqading/compiling the kernel, so why was it working before, but not
22 > now?
23 >
24 > Do I really have to enable DNOTIFY now? If so, why did it work before?
25
26 Perhaps they fixed a kernel bug that allowed it to work despite the
27 difference? It wouldn't surprise me.
28
29 I've noticed that kernel config flags and "required ones" noted in
30 Gentoo documents get out of sync rather quickly and they are fast-moving
31 targets. Go ahead and re-configure the kernel with the requested flags.
34 G.Wolfe Woodbury