From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] lost partition table
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 07:09:33
1 On Thursday 09 March 2006 00:52, "Ghaith Hachem" <blacksadness@×××××.com>
2 wrote about '[gentoo-user] lost partition table':
3 > help, it seems the gentoo installer deleted my home partition
4
5 For some reason, I doubt that, unless you told it to.
6
7 > fdisk don't show it what can i do?
8 > is there a way to restore it
9
10 Well, you can just re-create it if you have the exact starting cylinder and
11 upper bound on the ending cylinder (you can always make it w/ extra space
12 on the end, at least temporarily).
13
14 Without that information, you'll have to look for the filesystem superblock
15 (I hope you weren't using NTFS), determine what cylinder that's on and
16 start the partition there -- you can probably figure out the size of the
17 filesystem from the superblock data, too.
18
19 This is, of course, assuming you haven't written any data to the space used
20 by the filesystem. In that case, you will almost certainly be unable to
21 perform a full restore and have likely lost a large amount of your data,
22 if not all.
25 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
26 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
27 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
28 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh
29 --
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list