From: Don Jerman <djerman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Grub hangs when a USB disk is attached
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2008 00:41:58
1 On 2/29/08, andrea <momesso.andrea@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On ven, 2008-02-29 at 13:00 -0500, Don Jerman wrote:
4 >
5 > > When the usb disk is attached after boot the BIOS doesn't give it a HD
6 > > number in the series 0x80,0x81, etc, where 0x80 = (hd0) in grub or
7 > > /dev/sda. The OS handles all the controller events and connects the
8 > > USB device up through udev.
9 > >
10 > > When it is attached at boot-time it does get one(!) because the BIOS
11 > > sees it before the OS has hooked in.
12 > >
13 > > To accomplish this you probably need to boot from the CD while the USB
14 > > is attached. To me it seems risky, but possible. I wonder what will
15 > > happen when you disconnect the USB drive after booting is complete?
16 >
17 > No way. Even if booting from a livecd (and the usb disk is seen as
18 > (hd0,0) grub unstall still complain about missing BIOS driver.
19 >
20 > I also tried from the grub shell:
21 > grub> root (hd0,0)
22 > grub> setup (hd0)
23 > but at this point the program exits whit a segmentation fault message.
24 >
25 Well that's what I get for answering off-the-cuff :) Let us know if
26 you get a solution, I need it too!
27 --
28 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list