From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] building a machine for Gentoo
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 22:35:37
1 On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 00:45:18 +0300
2 "Aleksey V. Kunitskiy" <alexey.kv@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Tuesday 10 July 2007 02:46, b.n. wrote:
5 > > If you want to start with 1 Gb, buy a
6 > > single 1 Gb stick, and not two 512 Mb ones -so when you will want to
7 > > upgrade, you'll have less problems.
8 > I think it's not a good idea. Because AMD X2 has dual channel memory
9 > controller, and memory bandwidth will fall in 2 times with one stick.
10 > 2*512MB not a big problem - I have 2*512M + 1G on one of my boxes -
11 > most of motherboards have 3-4 memory slots.
12 >
13 By the time 1G isn't good enough for linux DDR2 ram will be worth so
14 little, it seems to me that it would be better to save the money now
15 and buy more ram later, should it become an issue. Even if that meant
16 having to replace the 2 sticks rather than add to them, it would still
17 be financially preferable.
18
19 Besides, the motherboard you mentioned above has 4 slots for ram, not
20 2.
21 --
22 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list