From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What's happened to gentoo-sources?
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2016 11:28:40
1 On Sun, Aug 21, 2016 at 6:20 AM, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Sunday 21 Aug 2016 05:55:06 Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> On Sun, Aug 21, 2016 at 5:12 AM, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
4 > wrote:
5 >> > After this morning's sync, both versions 4.4.6 and 4.6.4 of
6 >> > gentoo-sources have disappeared. Is this just finger trouble in the
7 >> > server chain? I get the same with UK and US sync servers.
8 >>
9 >> No idea, but upstream is up to 4.4.19, and 4.6.7 (which is now EOL).
10 >> So, those are pretty old versions. I see 4.4.19 in the Gentoo repo,
11 >> and 4.7.2 (which is probably where 4.6 users should be moving to).
12 >
13 > Yes, this ~amd64 box is now at 4.7.2, but I have an amd64 and two x86
14 > systems and they both want to downgrade to 4.1.15-r1, which eix shows as the
15 > latest stable version.
16 >
17 > I thought 4.4.6 and 4.6.4 were both pretty stable; was I wrong?
20 I'm sure they both work. However, upstream has released numerous
21 fixes since 4.4.6, and they will not be releasing security/bug/etc
22 fixes for 4.6.x.
23
24 As long as there are no critical issues there is no issue with not
25 being completely up-to-date with the kernel's stable releases, and I'm
26 sure the Gentoo kernel team is tracking these sorts of issues.
27 However, it isn't a surprise that they dropped 4.6. If they
28 downgraded 4.1 I suspect that was a mistake somewhere along the ways -
29 I could see them upgrading it to something more recent.
30
31 And there is nothing wrong with having some internal QA on kernel
32 releases. 4.1 had a nasty memory leak a release or two ago that was
33 killing my system after only an hour or two uptime. They took over a
34 week to stabilize the fix as well (though a patch was out fairly
35 quickly). So, I'm not in nearly the rush to update kernels as I used
36 to be (granted, unless you read all the lists it is easy to miss this
37 sort of thing). I really wish the kernel had separate
38 announce/discussion/patch lists. It is really annoying that there is
39 no way to get official notices up upstream updates without subscribing
40 to lkml and such. Is Linux the only FOSS project that has never heard
41 of -announce lists?
42
43 I ended up bailing on gentoo-sources all the same. Not that there was
44 really anything wrong with it, but since I'm running btrfs and they've
45 had a history of nasty regressions that tend to show up MONTHS later
46 I've been a lot more picky about my kernel updates. I'm currently
47 tracking 4.1. I might think about moving to 4.4 in a little while. I
48 tend to stay on the next-to-most-recent longterm not long after a new
49 longterm is announced. That tends to give them enough time to work
50 out the bugs. Plus, I spend a lot less time playing with
51 configuration options this way (they don't change within a minor
52 version).
55 Rich