From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 22:55:52
1 On 28/09/2013 21:50, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 20:11:06 +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 >
4 >> To merge two filesystems, you just merge two filesystems. You don't
5 >>> rebuild anything. You might have some downtime though
6 >>
7 >> one reboot. You cp everything into /newuser. On shutdown you unmount
8 >> /usr, mv newuser usr, sync, unmount, reboot.
9 >> if you want to do it 'old fashioned', you cp everything to /newuser,
10 >> reboot with systemrescuecd, mount / on /mnt/gentoo, my newuser to usr
11 >> and reboot. Oh, and change fstab.
12 >
13 > It's not that simple if /usr is on LVM, / is not large enough to
14 > hold /usr and resizing the partition is really tricky. In that case, the
15 > simplest option is to start using an initramfs. Once that is working, you
16 > can get rid of the separate root partition and move that filesystem into
17 > the VG too.
20 First time I did it, I faced that scenario too:
21
22 / wasn't big enough and I didn't have enough free space anywhere to put
23 a temporary copy. So I juggled everything around in chunks playing the
24 disk-partition equivalent of 15-pieces. Took about a day.
25
26 What I *should* have done is bought my first external USB drive then,
27 not three years later.
31 Alan McKinnon
32 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com