From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Recommendations for scheduler
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2014 13:36:46
1 On 04/08/2014 15:31, Martin Vaeth wrote:
2 > J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >>>
4 >>> So you have a command which might break due to hardware error
5 >>> and cannot be rerun. I cannot see how any general-purpose scheduler
6 >>> might help you here: You either need to be able to split your command
7 >>> into several (sequential) commands or you need something adapted
8 >>> for your particular command.
9 >>
10 >> A general-purpose scheduler can work, as they do exist.
11 >
12 > I doubt that they can solve your problem.
13 > Let me repeat: You have a single program which accesses the database
14 > in a complex way and somewhere in the course of accessing it, the
15 > machine (or program) crashes.
16 > No general-purpose program can recover from this: You need
17 > particular knowledge of the database and the program if you even
18 > want to have a *chance* to recover from such a situation.
19 > A program with such a particular knowledge can hardly be called
20 > "general-purpose".
23 Joost,
24
25 Either make the ETL tool pick up where it stopped and continue as it is
26 the only that knows what it was doing and how far it got. Or, wrap the
27 entire script in a single transaction.
31 Alan McKinnon
32 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com