From: Andrea Conti <alyf@××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Mac Mini with Grub booting Mac OSX and Windows?!
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 08:04:51
1 >> The real problem is that while rEFIt/rEFInd, OSX and Linux have no
2 >> problem dealing with a GPT partition table, Windows only supports MBR.
3 >> (Windows 7+ supports GPT partition tables but it can only boot from a
4 >> GPT disk in EFI mode.
5 >
6 > So, let us assume we have in the game:
7 >
8 > Windows 7 Ultimate Edition
9 > Gentoo Linux
10 > and Mac OSX (latest version)
11 >
12 > then we are all on the same side accessing the same partition table
13 > type, no?!
14
15 No. :)
16
17 While Intel Macs are EFI platforms, they have an early and quirky
18 implementation that cannot properly boot Windows in EFI mode, so you're
19 stuck with booting in BIOS emulation mode, which in turn means that
20 Windows will not use the GPT table. This is a really stupid Windows
21 limitation, but we can't do anything about it.
22
23 The Linux kernel can use GPT with no restrictions, however booting is
24 another story.
25 Booting directly from GPT requires a GPT-aware bootloader such as GRUB
26 2. Alternatively you can use GRUB legacy, but you need an entry in the
27 MBR for the boot partition. The root partition (and any other
28 partitions) need not appear in the MBR, as they are mounted by the
29 kernel.
30
31 OSX uses GPT natively and does not need MBR entries for its
32 partition(s). The only exception is if you want read-only access to an
33 HFS+ partition in Windows through the driver provided by BootCamp; in
34 that case you need to ensure that the first entry in the hybrid MBR
35 covers the HFS+ partition you want to access.
36
37 andrea