From: Jeremy Olexa <olex.mail.lists@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] When to reboot after updates to the system
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 01:06:51
1 Kevin wrote:
2 > Hi All-
3 >
4 > I've read the portage documentation at
5 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/index.xml?catid=gentoo and I've searched
6 > and browsed the gentoo-user mailing list archive, but I have a question
7 > that I don't see answered anywhere.
8 >
9 > It seems to me that it must be true that sometimes, after a system
10 > upgrade done with:
11 >
12 > emerge -uD system
13 > or
14 > emerge -uD world
15 >
16 > I must reboot the computer for the changes to take effect.
17
18 Nah, you can restart pretty much any service to get the new version
19 going. Technically you shouldn't ever have to reboot except kernel
20 updates. (We aren't running windows here) ;)
21
22 HTH, (unofficial advice)
23 -Jeremy
24 --