From: Nick Khamis <symack@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fine Tuning NTP Server
Date: Thu, 09 May 2013 15:14:17
1 Hello Andrea,
2
3 Thank you so much for your response! I was reluctant to include
4 configuration related material for the sake of not insulting anyone
5 however, on the server we have set:
6
7 server tick.nrc.ca minpoll 64 maxpoll 1024 iburst prefer
8 server tock.nrc.ca minpoll 64 maxpoll 1024 iburst
9 restrict 127.0.0.1
10 restrict 192.168.2.0 mask 255.255.255.0
11
12 broadcast 192.168.2.255 minpoll 64
13
14 # Synchronize Hardare Clock
15 CLOCK_SYSTOHC="yes"
16
17 The reason I manually set min/maxpoll is to be in compliance with ntp
18 server requirements:
19
20 minpoll/maxpoll may not be changed below the defaults of 64 seconds
21 and 1024 seconds respectively.
22
23 For the client, I have:
24
25 disable auth
26 broadcastclient
27 server ntp.server.com prefer
28
29 # Synchronize Hardare Clock
30 CLOCK_SYSTOHC="yes"
31
32 As for /etc/conf.d/ntpd, we have set nothing. To be honest I did not
33 even know the file
34 existed till you mentioned it:
35
36 NTPD_OPTS="-u ntp:ntp"
37
38 I would have liked to be better prepared for this but the gentoo wiki
39 page has been down for a few weeks now. We are not looking for
40 microsecond synchronization however, down to the second would be nice!
43 Kind Regards,
44
45 Nick.