From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Disk Labels in Handbook
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2011 14:18:29
1 James wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > So looking at the handbook, I was wondering
5 > why it does not describe how to use Disk Labels
6 > during the installation process. Dunno.
7 >
8 > So I poised this question on gentoo-doc
9 > and got this encouraging response from *JOSH*
10 >
11 > snip
14 > James
18 Given that some folks on here have ran into USB drives changing the
19 order of partitions, I think this is a good idea. If needed, they could
20 at least introduce the subject then have it link to another page. Even
21 if it is the simplest label of using boot, root and such labels and
22 maybe a mention that there are other ways to accomplish the same thing.
23
24 I ran into this issue a while back when I added a hard drive and it was
25 not easy to work with. When I boot a CD/DVD, it sees them as hd*
26 instead of sd* so that didn't help since the OS kernel sees them as sd*.
27
28 It may be uphill to get this included or at least linked to something
29 else explaining it but I think it is a good idea. I also added myself
30 to the bug as well. I saw the post on -doc.
31
32 Dale
33