From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What's the best way to force a particular version of a dependency
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2020 21:33:28
1 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 5:07 PM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Unless you have a really good reason to do so, you shouldn't try to update system by itself. It limits emerge and can lead to issues.
5 > He's just following my earlier advice. While what you say is true in
6 > general, the problem is that he is trying to update a system that
7 > hasn't been updated in ages, and so he probably needs to adjust dozens
8 > of USE flags/etc or make other tweaks to fix things. Using @system
9 > reduces the scope of the update to try to at least get the core system
10 > updated, but you're right that this might need to be augmented with
11 > other packages.
12 >
13 > Really though part of the problem here is that each time there is a
14 > problem I'm seeing about 10 lines of portage output, when I probably
15 > need 500 lines to figure out what is likely going on. Half the battle
16 > of the bug wranglers is getting people to just post all the stuff that
17 > the new bug form asks you to attach - we don't ask for thousands of
18 > lines of logs because we have nothing better to read... :)
22 This is true.  I noticed the output was shall we say, short.  Usually
23 emerge is good out puking all over the keyboard and a good bit of the
24 floor as well.  Pull out the decoder ring and figure out just what
25 started the fight and you can work out a solution.  It just may take
26 more than one person to figure it out.  lol
27
28 I think people tend to not want to post large amounts of info on a
29 mailing list.  Thing is, you are correct 100% on this, all of that error
30 is likely needed to figure out the problem.  In a build failure, I've
31 learned to look for error 1 and even then go back 30 to 40 lines.
32 Generally, that catches the error and can get a solution. With emerge
33 tho, it's the whole thing including the command itself.  Anything less
34 and it makes it hard or impossible to figure out.
35
36 Dale
37
39
40 Y'all better watch out.  I been watching LUKS videos.  O_O