From: Daniel Campbell <lists@××××××××.us>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] going from systemd to udev
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2014 21:42:51
1 On 02/04/2014 01:58 PM, Joseph wrote:
2 > Is it possible to go from "systemd" to "udev"?
3 >
4 > I don't like the way systemd works. I have a problem with mounting USB
5 > sick (it mounts as root:root) and I can not even change the permission.
6 > I am receiving Hylafax fax transmission reports (email) on all incoming
7 > faxes and now these emails are empty.
8 > It all start happening after switching to systemd :-(
11 systemd and udev are part of the same project, so I believe what you
12 meant was switching from systemd to OpenRC. I've not made such a switch,
13 but if you remember the steps you took, you can generally just reverse
14 them. That is, emerge openrc again, change the kernel line in GRUB to
15 point to regular init instead of systemd's init, reboot, and things
16 *should* fall into place.
17
18 USB drives mounting as root sounds like a udev thing rather than a
19 systemd thing, and switching to OpenRC for your init won't fix it afaik.
20 For the devices that you need this behavior for, it might be worth
21 looking into writing some udev rules. You can get a start by consulting
22 `lsusb` output and Googling for 'udev rules' to get a wide variety of
23 guides for writing udev rules. Despite the recent changes to udev by the
24 systemd team, udev still functions mostly the same and most guides will
25 be accurate.
26
27 I hope this helps!
28