From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] cant use portage since last nights sync
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 13:55:05
1 On Wednesday 18 January 2006 04:11, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 18 January 2006 10:17, Jean Blignaut wrote:
3 > > Hi
7 > > This morning I've found that I'm unable to use the emerge command.
8 > >
9 > > Any thing I try gives me the following error:
10 >
11 > Short answer: delete /usr/portage/profiles/updates/1Q-2006 and re-emerge
12 > sync;
13 >
14 > Long answer: search the forums.
15 >
16 > HTH
19 Here's the long version from the gentoo-dev list:
22 Michael Cummings Wrote:
23
24 Protocol doesn't demand it - but human decency sure as heck does. I just
25 wanted to apologize to everyone for my erroneous commit to the 1Q-2006
26 file yesterday.
27
28 The boring background is that some upstream cpan authors use a numbering
29 scheme that makes sense in a decimal fashion, where .29001 is less
30 than .30 (expand the 0's, yada yada yada, ask your kid sibling about
31 math at school today), but portage expects that numbering scheme to
32 actually be a version identifier (so to speak, its the gist I'm going
33 for here, don't flame me on the technicalities of how portage reads a
34 version number). dev-perl/DateTime came out with a .2901 release, which
35 I put in the tree as such many a moon ago (about 1.4 moons ago to be
36 exact), and recently .30 came out. Because of the math business I just
37 mentioned, .30 would never get picked up by anyone since (dropping the
38 decimal point) 2901 > 30. I 'moved' .2901 to .29.01 to make this work
39 better. All was good.
40
41 Then I had this brilliant idea - use the quarterly file to help people
42 migrate that number, no bizarre downgrades when the emerge world. 'cept
43 move in the quarterly isn't for moving a version, its for moving between
44 categories, package names, etc., and as such I made a mistake.
45
46 No need to respond to this message (i'd prefer it if you didn't actually
47 - between the 'stuff happens' and the 'your an idiot, revoke that bad
48 boys right to a keyboard' messages, i think it would all even out).
49
50 ~mcummings
53 Basically, someone had a wrench thrown into the gears in the brain. It
54 happens!!!
55
56 Dale
57 :-)