From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: grub:2 first experience with it
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2017 20:20:51
1 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> writes:
2
3 >> But no update-grub
4 >
5 > update-grub is an Ubuntuism, not part of standard GRUB. It's only a one
6 > line shell script that runs
7 >
8 > grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
9 >
10 > Even a large proportion of Ubuntu users would be able to manage without
11 > it.
12
13 yeah, I saw once I looked at the script that it was just little
14 wrapper.
15
16 But I'm pretty sure that somewhere in all the gentoo stuff I was using
17 there is a little bit that says to run update-grub.
18
19 So not knowing anything about what it might do it seemed like
20 something was wrong.
21
22 But you are dead right that it ain't much... and certainly not a deal
23 breaker.
24
25 What can you tell me about how to get an initial hi-res frame buffer
26 during boot and after when in console mode?
27
28 I know how to do it in grub:0. But I see my first feeble attempt in
29 grub:2 was total non-starter.