From: "Spackman
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A new Linux back door
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2020 17:44:44
1 On 2020/08/14 at 07:27am, Dale wrote:
2
3 > Peter Humphrey wrote:
4 > > I saw this today:
5 > >
6 > > https://linux.slashdot.org/story/20/08/13/174237/fbi-and-nsa-expose-new-linux-malware-drovorub-used-by-russian-state-hackers?
7 > > utm_source=slashdot&utm_medium=twitter
8 > >
9 > > Has anyone any more info?
10
11 > It seems to affect only older kernels, before 3.7.  So if you are
12 > above that, which I would think most Gentoo users would at least be in
13 > the 4 range or higher, then you should be OK. I checked and the oldest
14 > kernel version is 4.4 here.  That's for gentoo-sources.  Of course,
15 > one could download the original kernel sources I guess.
16
17 I think the 3.7 version is just because that was when kernel module
18 signing was introduced?
19
20 According to Ars:
21
22 The advisory also urged that, at a minimum, servers run Linux kernel
23 version 3.7 or later so that organizations can use improved
24 code-signing protections, which use cryptographic certificates to
25 ensure that an app, driver, or module comes from a known and trusted
26 source and hasn’t been tampered with by anyone else.
27
28 Additionally, system owners are advised to configure systems to load
29 only modules with a valid digital signature making it more difficult
30 for an actor to introduce a malicious kernel module into the system,”
31 the advisory stated.
32
33 https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2020/08/nsa-and-fbi-warn-that-new-linux-malware-threatens-national-security/
34
35 So, it sounds like you are not immune if you have 3.7+, just that you do
36 have some additional tools you could use to protect yourself. I use
37 Gentoo just at home for personal use, and it never even occurred to me
38 to use digital sigs for kernel modules.
39
40 I found this: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Signed_kernel_module_support
41 but haven't had time to try it yet. Does anyone have experience with
42 digitally signing kernel modules on Gentoo?
45 Chris Spackman (he/him) chris@××××××××××.com
46
47 ESL Coordinator The Graham Family of Schools
48 ESL Instructor Columbus State Community College
49 Japan Exchange and Teaching Program Wajima, Ishikawa 1995-1998
50 Linux user since 1998 Linux User #137532