From: Michael Crute <mcrute@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: SNMP Security
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 21:45:01
1 On 10/30/06, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Michael Crute <mcrute <at> gmail.com> writes:
5 > > I am using Cacti on a firewalled production server to do all manner of
6 > > system monitoring and metrics. I would also like to setup SNMP on my
7 > > development servers that sits behind a firewall at a different data
8 > > center. Is there a way that I can securely allow SNMP access to my
9 > > development boxen from the production box. The end result I am looking
10 > > for is the ability to log in to a single instance of cacti and have
11 > > access to all of my servers all over the world. Is this possible to do
12 > > securely? Any recommendations?
13 >
14 > Hello Mike,
15 >
16 > JFFNMS is a NMS with many,many more features than cacti.
17 > www.jffnms.org
18 <snip>
19 > James
20
21 Thanks for the suggestion James, I will have to check it out when I
22 get some time. Right now I'm stuck with cacti (I say stuck in the
23 nicest possible way) so I really need to figure out if SNMP is secure
24 enough to use across the internet.
25
26 -Mike
30 Michael E. Crute
31 http://mike.crute.org
32
33 God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things.
34 Right now I am so far behind that I will never die. --Bill Watterson
35 --
36 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list