From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Using tar to backup my system
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 13:34:27
1 On Friday 04 November 2005 01:44, Richard Watson wrote:
2 > Hi ... I've just spent ages compiling my laptop. I'm really happy with
3 > the result ... So fast ...
4 >
5 > What I want to is create a directory called /backup and then create a
6 > tarball using the command
7 >
8 > # tar -zcvf /backup/mylaptop.tar /[all directories] except /backup (as I
9 > don't want to go in circles).
10 >
11 > I'm then going to copy off the resulting tarball to my server in case my
12 > laptop dies (I'd rather not have to recompile everything). Does this
13 > sound OK?If I ever had to restore I would copy the file to / and run the
14 > command.
15 >
16 > # tar -zxvf mylaptop.tar
17 > --
18 > Thanks, Richard
21 you need to --exclude /proc, or you'll run into problems.
22 You should exclude /sys, /dev/, /tmp and /var/run
23 --
24 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list