From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Moving from Lastpass to Bitwarden
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2021 08:29:23
1 On Fri, 19 Feb 2021 22:07:21 -0500, Kusoneko wrote:
2
3 > That is also what I use. I also personally use my phone with KeepassDX
4 > for when I'm not next to my personal PC, and I have the databases synced
5 > together through Syncthing. However, on the topic of Syncthing, I
6 > haven't had any issue so far, but I also haven't been able to find
7 > anywhere if the thing encrypts traffic that's sent from anywhere to
8 > anywhere else. From what I understand of Syncthing though, it seems to
9 > give each machine a unique ID, let's you give them names and then
10 > specify a shared folder, then using the local networks it can find
11 > other devices running Syncthing, and on the wider internet, it seems to
12 > connect to some random "discovery servers" that seem like their purpose
13 > is to act as a way to have the devices find each other if they're on
14 > other networks so that the shared directories stay synced at all times.
15
16 That's correct. Syncthing is P2P, the only traffic that goes through
17 their servers is for discovery. If even that is too much for you, you can
18 run your own discovery server.
19
20 > I just wish I knew if the files are encrypted e2e or not when using
21 > this.
22
23 According to Syncthing's own FAQ "Data that is sent over the network is
24 compressed (optionally) and encrypted (always). "
28 Neil Bothwick
29
30 Bagpipe for free: Stuff cat under arm. Pull legs, chew tail.