From: Matt Randolph <mattr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] How do you remove packages made with --buildpkg?
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 18:07:17
1 First off, let me say that I know perfectly well that you can `emerge -C
2 package_name` at any time. That's not what I'm talking about. What I
3 want to do is to remove the built binary too.
4
5 Let me explain what I do and what I'm trying to do in more detail...
6
7 Sometimes, I like to be able to test several different ~arch versions of
8 a package to see which one works best for me. I may try switching back
9 and forth between several different versions, possibly deciding
10 ultimately that none of the ~arch versions are any improvement over the
11 previously installed arch version, and so I re-emerge the old one.
12
13 If the program in question is rather large, I won't want to build it any
14 more times than I have to. Consequently, I use quickpkg on the
15 original, and then --buildpkg on all of the testing versions. This way,
16 I only have to compile each package once, yet I can switch back and
17 forth between them in mere seconds.
18
19 The problem with this scheme is that the built binaries aren't removed
20 when you unmerge the corresponding package. Actually, if they were,
21 then this technique wouldn't work at all. I have a very small hard
22 drive so I can't afford to have these unneeded binaries cluttering up
23 the disk. I have to get rid of them somehow.
24
25 How the heck do you remove the old built binaries? They aren't simply
26 put in '${PKGDIR}/All' like the manual says. There are a bunch of
27 places that the different pieces go. A bunch of symlinks and new
28 directories are created too, IIRC. It is a nuisance to remove
29 everything by hand. I wrote a script to do some of the legwork for me,
30 but it's time consuming and requires a lot of user intervention.
31
32 Isn't there a tool to remove these old binaries? Is there a command you
33 pass to emerge? I assume there's something really trivial and obvious
34 that I've simply missed, but I'm getting tired of searching for it.
35
36 Thanks!
39 "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitate" - W. of O.
42 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list