From: "Poison BL." <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NVMe drive and grub
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2016 13:25:43
1 On Fri, Apr 8, 2016 at 8:21 AM, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Thursday 07 April 2016 17:56:55 Jeremi Piotrowski wrote:
3 >> What is in your grub.conf? Have you thought about adding an
4 >> initramfs and letting it drop you to its rescue shell so that you can
5 >> investigate?
6 >
7 > Grub.cfg looks all right to me: at least, it does include a sensible root=
8 > value.
9 >
10 > I never see a grub screen - it just starts the current kernel. I did wonder
11 > about an initramfs and I'm trying it now. I've also followed Remy's advice
12 > and used gentoo-sources-4.4.6.
13 >
14 > So far I've spent about 30 hours scratching my head, clutching at straws and
15 > going round in circles. I'm getting dizzy. :-)
16 >
17 > --
18 > Rgds
19 > Peter
20
21 So, you have Grub setup to give a menu, pause, or at least do
22 something visible, and it's skipping right past that? That makes me
23 suspect that Grub's not running at all, and that the kernel's being
24 loaded by UEFI directly.
25
26 What files are in /boot/ on your efi partition (preferably identified
27 with the file command)?
28
29 If you have a kernel in there named bootx64.efi, that's likely the culprit.
32 Poison [BLX]
33 Joshua M. Murphy