From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: memset_s
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2017 17:39:41
1 On 11/15/2017 10:50 AM, Jorge Almeida wrote:
2 >
3 > Are you really sure? I was under the impression that ebuilds did it,
4 > and I find that natural. I didn't view that as a bug at all.
7 On principle, most things in the tree should respect whatever CFLAGS,
8 LDFLAGS, etc. you ask for. The problems resulting from that are
9 predictable: if you add "-ffast-math" to your CFLAGS and then start
10 getting crashes; well, you asked for it. We're not going to fix that for
11 you in every ebuild.
12
13 On the other hand, there are packages where some optimizations fail due
14 to a compiler bug or something else that is not by design. Some packages
15 optimize their critical path in assembly, and the resulting code doesn't
16 play well with otherwise-reasonable CFLAGS. In cases like those, it's
17 often simpler to disable the problematic flag in the ebuild rather than
18 have a thousand people do the same thing locally.