From: David Shen <davidshen84@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] HD device becomes SD device
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2009 06:32:06
1 thanks both of you.
4 On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 12:54 PM, Wyatt Epp<wyatt.epp@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 11:04 PM, David Shen <davidshen84@××××××××××.com>
6 > wrote:
7 >>
8 >> I install gentoo 2008 amd64 in a virtual box virtual machine. I
9 >> configured the controller to us IDE controller, and if I boot from
10 >> livecd, it DID get a hda device under /dev. But after I finished
11 >> setting up the system, I cannot find the HD device, instead, I found a
12 >> SD device.
13 >>
14 >> Maybe there are something wrong with the kernel I compiled, but I do
15 >> not know how to troubleshoot this.
16 >
17 > No, to my knowledge, that's the proper behavior.  The disparity between the
18 > LiveCD and actual installs is...a little unfortunate.  But anyway, movement
19 > to more widespread use of libata has renamed all /dev/hd* to /dev/sd*
20 > equivalents.  It should not impact you in any significant way.  See
21 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kernel-config.xml#doc_chap3 for a little more
22 > information.  As far as making it work, really, just change /dev/hd* to
23 > /dev/sd* in your /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/grub.conf (or whatever the LILO
24 > equivalent is) and you should be fine.
25 >
26 > Cheers,
27 > Wyatt
33 Best Regards,