From: Francesco Talamona <ti.liame@×××××.it>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: NFS vs. jumbo frames
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 20:19:48
1 On Monday 23 April 2007, kashani wrote:
2 > Tony Stohne wrote:
4 > > Hash: SHA1
5 > >
6 > > Uwe Thiem said the following on 2007-04-23 17:53:
7 > >> Just curious: What kind of network (layer 2) is this that allows
8 > >> an MTU of 9000?
9 > >>
10 > >> Uwe
11 > >
12 > > It sounds like Gigabit Ethernet to me.
13 >
14 > Keep in mind that not all fastE or gigE switches support jumbo
15 > frames. Additionally not all cards support jumbo frames either though
16 > you can certainly set them to an MTU of 9000 and watch things break.
17 Some cards do support jumbo frames, but up to values lower than 9000,
18 for example I set up a NFS over a gbit link with jumbo frames with an
19 MTU of 7200 because this was the lower common.
20
21 > To the original poster, I'd do some googling and verify that all the
22 > network cards and switches involved can do jumbo frames and that it
23 > is enabled on each device as needed.
24 >
25 > kashani
26
27 Based on my experience I would add to verify also the upper MTU value
28 really supported.
29
30 Ciao
31 Francesco
34 Linux Version 2.6.20-gentoo-r6, Compiled #2 PREEMPT Fri Apr 20 17:31:11
36 One 2.2GHz AMD Athlon 64 Processor, 2GB RAM, 4408.86 Bogomips Total
37 aemaeth
40 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list