From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo-sources: can't make menuconfig with user? User can't access ncurses?
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 23:45:50
1 On Mon, 2 Jan 2012 20:58:18 -0200
2 Claudio Roberto França Pereira <spideybr@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > I'm not currently at my Gentoo box, sorry for this, but if I don't
5 > post this now I'll probably forget to post it at all.
6 > Anyways, last time I tried upgrading my kernel, I copied my .config
7 > and ran make menuconfig as my main user, but it whined about missing
8 > ncurses libraries or something. After su'ing, everything went better
9 > than expected.
10 > Was that normal behavior? I remember configuring my kernel as user
11 > before. Even compiling it as user.
14 How did you install the kernel sources?
15
16 If you downloaded them as a normal user you should be able to make
17 menuconfig; make; sudo make install just fine.
18
19 If portage installed the sources, then you should
20 configure/compile/install as root. The sources are owned by portage
21 (IIRC) and you can't su to that user, leaving only root. Or, try adding
22 yourself to the portage group. Personally I think that's too much
23 effort for zero gain so I always do it as root.
27 Alan McKinnnon
28 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com