From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] speedup remote portage
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2020 19:27:52
1 On 2/26/20 7:08 PM, William Kenworthy wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > ��� due to space considerations on my laptop I have moved portage onto a
5 > network share (moosfs, mfsmounted) - slower but works fine.� However,
6 > being a laptop trying to update/install when out and about is both very
7 > slow and network intensive through a vpn - again, it works but is even
8 > slower to the point of not always being practical
9 >
10 > Is there a way to localise/speedup portage scanning parts of the
11 > update/install process?
14 A simpler, much less sophisticated update, what I do is
15 use emerge -f option to 'fetch only' option first. The selectively
16 update; or you can use a usb-3.1+ device for fast easy upgrades, due to
17 laptop limitations, but the communications data channel limitations
18 leave you at the mercy of the available wireless bandwidth characteristics.
21 Unlocked cell phones will (theoretically) allow you to
22 temporarily-dynamically switch to another provider (carrier) for faster
23 wireless bandwidth. It's baked into most of the 5G chipsets, and can
24 even work with 4G channels.
27 Many (stupid) carriers are fighting against giving to the citizens, the
28 right to dynamically use a variety of services, and control your
29 software stack on cell phones. Anti-competitive. Multi-homed bandwidth,
30 for mobile needs (cell or lappy) is coming, but corruption in
31 governments and companies is hindering what has already been 'designed
32 in' to how Rf (wireless) bandwidth is articulated.
35 Most regulators, are mentally 'arcane' thus technologist suffer.......
38 > 1. put it on a squashfs share to save space (the laptop is running btrfs
39 > with compression so I don't think that will get me much)
40 >
41 > 2. put portage on an sd card and mount it when necessary
42 >
43 > The laptop is a Surface Pro4 so expanding the storage is not practical -
44 > though I could shrink the windows partition a little more.
45
46 Maybe a usb-splitter would help? (no usb ports?)
49 > BillK
52 hth,
53 James