From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Enabling mmx USE flag on a Pentium 4 HTT?
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 18:31:14
1 On Saturday 22 December 2007, Graham Murray wrote:
2 > "Mark Shields" <laebshade@×××××.com> writes:
3 > > If I remember correctly, flags like this are not recommended to enable.
4 > > GCC can already pass the appropriate flags, such as MMX and SSE, to
5 > > programs when compiling; the fact that this ebuild has optional use flags
6 > > for this setting is a red flag, in my opinion. I would recommend
7 > > researching possible problems you may have before building any programs
8 > > with the MMX use flag.
9 >
10 > The mmx (and sse, sse2 etc) use flags do not normally have anything to
11 > do with the gcc -mmmx etc flags. Normally in a configure for a package
12 > they will cause a optimised assembler to be included for certain functions
13 > rather than using 'generic' C code for them. In ebuilds the mmx USE
14 > flag normally selects these configure options when building the package,
15 > so (unlike using CFLAGS=-mmmx) are quite safe in most cases.
16
17 Hmm, does this mean I should remove my mmmx CFLAGS? I must have been running
18 this lot for at least 2.5 years now and cannot say that I have seen any
19 problems with them:
20
21 CFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium3 -fomit-frame-pointer -msse -mmmx -pipe"
24 Regards,
25 Mick