From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE4.6 runaway process after wake up
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 20:39:58
1 On Tuesday 17 May 2011 09:17:45 Yohan Pereira wrote:
2 > i generally kill knotify and kded when they misbehave and haven't
3 > encountered any noticeable problems after doing so.
4
5 Yes, same here. Once I kill them, no problem thereafter.
6
7 They don't seem to me to be related to some process running purposufely doing
8 something useful (or even intentional). With both pegged at 100% CPU they
9 seem more like they've gone into a loop/race condition.
10
11 So I'm not sure that letting them run for any length of time will achieve
12 anything - but will give them 5-10 minutes next time to see if they go away on
13 their own.
16 Another thing I noticed on a different box (x86) is that if more than say 20%
17 or memory is being used and I select the machine to go to sleep (to RAM) it
18 crashes. The disk spins down immediately, the monitor and input devices go to
19 sleep, but the CPU and fans continue to run. The box will not respond to
20 anything other than pulling the plug.
21
22 I am not sure if there is something incompatible with the memory
23 modules/controllers (I doubt it because this was a really rare event with
24 KDE4.5) but now with KDE4.6 it happens every time. Any ideas what this might
25 be attributed to?
26 --
27 Regards,
28 Mick