From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Floppy disk support removed from kernel 3.4.9.
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 17:55:55
1 Hi, Everybody!
2
3 Floppy disk support has been removed from kernel 3.4.9. I'm not very
4 happy about this. Does anybody know why, or by whom?
5
6 This removal has been done in a somewhat peculiar manner. The config
7 option was called CONFIG_BLK_DEV_FD, and used to be at <Device
8 Drivers>/<Block Devices>. It is now not visible there.
9
10 However, Typing '/' BLK_DEV_FD in 'make menuconfig' returns its
11 documentation, saying BLK_DEV_FD is dependent upon
12 CONFIG_ARCH_MAY_HAVE_PC_FDC. This latter variable isn't visible
13 anywhere.
14
15 I tried setting ARCH_MAY_HAVE_PC_FDC by hand in .config, but that didn't
16 help. 'make menuconfig' just unset it again of its own accord. Then I
17 inserted BLK_DEV_FD into .config by hand and built the kernel. I haven't
18 tested it yet.
19
20 All this seems rather strange. Why shouldn't I be able to use my floppy
21 drive?
24 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).