From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Floppy disk support removed from kernel 3.4.9.
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 17:55:55
Hi, Everybody!

Floppy disk support has been removed from kernel 3.4.9.  I'm not very
happy about this.  Does anybody know why, or by whom?

This removal has been done in a somewhat peculiar manner.  The config
option was called CONFIG_BLK_DEV_FD, and used to be at <Device
Drivers>/<Block Devices>.  It is now not visible there.

However, Typing '/' BLK_DEV_FD in 'make menuconfig' returns its
documentation, saying BLK_DEV_FD is dependent upon
CONFIG_ARCH_MAY_HAVE_PC_FDC.  This latter variable isn't visible
anywhere.

I tried setting ARCH_MAY_HAVE_PC_FDC by hand in .config, but that didn't
help.  'make menuconfig' just unset it again of its own accord.  Then I
inserted BLK_DEV_FD into .config by hand and built the kernel.  I haven't
tested it yet.

All this seems rather strange.  Why shouldn't I be able to use my floppy
drive?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).