From: Gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2014 21:34:35
1 On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 14:30:10 -0600
2 Daniel Campbell <lists@××××××××.us> wrote:
3
4 > On 02/15/2014 11:32 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
5 > > On Feb 15, 2014 11:02 AM, "Tanstaafl" <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org
6 > > <mailto:tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>> wrote:
7 > >>
8 > >> On 2014-02-15 10:16 AM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org
9 > > <mailto:tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>> wrote:
10 > >>>
11 > >>> Hi all,
12 > >>>
13 > >>> Not to revive a flame-fest against systemd, but...
14 > >>>
15 > >>> I'm sure some or most of you have already heard about this, but I
16 > >>> found a really decent thread discussing this whole systemd thing.
17 > >>> It is only really comparing systemd and upstart, as that was the
18 > >>> debate going on in the debian TC, but it is a great read, and has
19 > >>> actually made me rethink my blind objections to systemd a bit.
20 > >>
21 > >>
22 > >> One of which was logging:
23 > >>
24 > >> "20. Myth: systemd makes it impossible to run syslog.
25 > >>
26 > >> Not true, we carefully made sure when we introduced the journal
27 > >> that
28 > > all data is also passed on to any syslog daemon running. In fact, if
29 > > something changed, then only that syslog gets more complete data now
30 > > than it got before, since we now cover early boot stuff as well as
31 > > STDOUT/STDERR of any system service."
32 > >>
33 > >> From: http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/the-biggest-myths.html
34 > >
35 > > Also, for those of you who don't follow Linux-related news, Ubuntu
36 > > will also change to systemd in the future:
37 > >
38 > > http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/1316
39 > >
40 > > And I *heard* that Slackware was also discussing the possibility,
41 > > but since I don't follow Slackware at all, I don't know for sure.
42 > >
43 > > Anyway, distros not using systemd, and that they are not really
44 > > small and/or niche, seem to be disappearing. The discussion that
45 > > Tanstaafl posted is interesting since the arguments used by the
46 > > four TC members are really focused on the technical merits of the
47 > > proposed init systems.
48 > >
49 > > Regards.
50 > > --
51 > > Canek Peláez Valdés
52 > > Posgrado en Ciencia e Ingeniería de la Computación
53 > > Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
56 > The lack of foresight on social and political ramifications is
57 > epidemic to most of the FOSS world, as evidenced by the creeping
58 > adoption of systemd. Things are already depending on things that
59 > systemd provides, and is dividing the ecosystem into "systemd" vs
60 > "everything else". Ambitious projects like systemd are damaging to
61 > the rich variety that should be found in the FOSS ecosystem. systemd
62 > in particular encourages embracing vertical integration and rejection
63 > of POSIX and UNIX principles. Its culture is adversarial to anyone
64 > who doubts the Great Image that Lennart and his employer has. If it
65 > were a project that was humble, without an agenda, and did not
66 > undergo evangelism, I'd have no problems with it because choice is
67 > something that I value immensely. But because it *isn't* humble,
68 > *has* an agenda, only reached the adoption it currently has by *lots*
69 > of arguing and pushing, and refuses to coexist with other init
70 > systems, I cannot respect it as a legitimate, non-aggressive,
71 > non-intrusive software project. I consider it a toxic threat to FOSS
72 > and refuse to have it on any system I maintain.
73 >
74 > systemd has technical merits (cgroups, socket activation, parellel
75 > execution of daemons, etc), but they fall by the wayside and become
76 > irrelevant to me when it swallows the functionality of multiple
77 > projects that should be separate (see: udev) and tries to be
78 > everything to everyone (splash image, web server, boot time graphs,
79 > etc). The social tactics at work from the systemd team (and verily,
80 > other Red Hat projects like GNOME) are reminiscent of Microsoft
81 > through the use of the "Embrace, Extend, Extinguish" methodology.
82 > With their paid developers and more abundant resources, Red Hat (and
83 > arguably other corporations) can use their developers to push their
84 > agendas and, in a sense, commandeer control of the FOSS world. I will
85 > give them no inch on my systems. I am skeptical of their involvement
86 > in the kernel, as well.
87 >
88 > It's sad to see Debian giving into peer pressure. I honestly thought
89 > that they would see the agenda miles away and prevent a monoculture.
90 > For people who are technically intelligent, they're seriously lacking
91 > any foresight in their decisions and are completely blind to the
92 > social and political ramifications. Distros will regret depending on
93 > such a project and it will set GNU/Linux development back many years
94 > when systemd becomes a full stack and working without it is made
95 > difficult or impractical (through the use of lock-in tactics). I hope
96 > that Gentoo continues to be a safe haven for choice and the spirit of
97 > FOSS. Without it, I may have to concede and either start building my
98 > own distro, or going to the BSDs.
99
100 Thank you for the explanation. I suspected this yet from the beginning
101 of this discussion and waited for such or similar explanations.
102
103 Technically, I so far know a very little on this subject
104 and only suspect :-) that my Gentoo system uses openrc.
105
106 I am quite satisfied with it and afraid of switching Gentoo default to
107 systemd.
108
109 However, I do understand your arguments concerning Ubuntu and Gnome.
110
111 This year I put them both into a recycle bin as I very well felt their
112 "Embrace, Extend, and Extinguish" tactics.
113
114 Just my two cents too. :-)
115
116 > Just my two cents. Ignore or reply at your discretion.
117 >