From: Daniel Troeder <daniel@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] VFAQ mirroring a live root FS
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2010 16:10:57
1 On 07/01/2010 05:12 PM, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > would anybody please explain to me what difficulties
5 > might occur if I mirror a live root file system
6 > and use that for booting (in an emergency case).
7 >
8 > I know that for proper mirroring I may mirror a live
9 > root file system but I have to rsync it after booting from a
10 > different device (USB,...)
11 >
12 > But what happens if I have to boot a system from a backup
13 > which has been mirrored from a live root file system.
14 >
15 > Many thanks for sharing your experience,
16 > Helmut.
19 This will probably be no problem at all: it's (nearly) the same thing as
20 pushing the reset knob and booting :)
21
22 I suggest you use a LVM-snapshot. If you use "cp" or "rsync", then use
23 the "-x" switch (and "-S" with rsync). Those methods have worked for me
24 for bare-metal-recovery until now.
25
26 The only thing that mostly breaks are databases. So create a dump before
27 copying, and copy it too. Or if possible stop the DB and make a copy of
28 the files, then start it again. Or both ;)
29
30 Bye,
31 Daniel
34 Just in case: When booting from CD always use "--numeric-owner" with tar
35 and "--numeric-ids" with rsync or uids and gids will get messed up.
38 PGP key @ http://pgpkeys.pca.dfn.de/pks/lookup?search=0xBB9D4887&op=get
39 # gpg --recv-keys --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net 0xBB9D4887