From: "Dustin C. Hatch" <admiralnemo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] do subslots improve user-experience?
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2013 16:14:42
1 On 11/2/2013 07:04, hasufell wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > Another round of questioning the users here.
6 These are good, thank you. Short answer here is no.
9 > more specifically:
10 > * how often do you experience useless rebuilds?
11 At least one of my machines is constantly wanting to rebuild some
12 package or another. Currently, one of my desktops wants to rebuild
13 x11-misc/compton with every emerge.
14
15 > * do you really have a problem with running
16 > revdep-rebuild/haskell-updater/perl-cleaner etc after every emerge?
17 No, because I typically understand when they're needed and can predict
18 when I should use them, which really isn't all that often.
19
20 > * do you think it's worth the effort to add more stuff to the PM, so
21 > that you don't have to run revdep-rebuild that often?
22 I think we should have stopped at @preserved-rebuild. It's a sort of
23 middle ground between rebuilding things all the time and having a broken
24 system. I like it because it allows me to leave some things in a
25 semi-broken state until I have time and CPU cycles to dedicate to
26 rebuild them (i.e. libreoffice, etc.).
27
28 > * do you trust the other methods like subslots or preserved-rebuild to
29 > work reliably? (as in: do you still use revdep-rebuild?)
30 I've been using preserved-rebuild ever since it was backported to 2.1,
31 and I don't think I've needed revdep-rebuild since then. I run it
32 occasionally, but it's never found anything.
35 > If you want my opinion on subslots:
36 > # grep EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS /etc/portage/make.conf
37 > EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--ignore-built-slot-operator-deps=y"
38 I'm getting closer to this sentiment as well; I'm beginning to think
39 they're more trouble than they're worth. I'm getting tired of seeing an
40 emerge list of 10 or 15 rebuilds when I'm trying to install something
41 brand new because some package in the tree I already have installed has
42 changed. If I cared about that package and its dependencies, I would
43 have asked for it to be rebuilt/upgraded/whatever, but I don't, I'm
44 working on something else right now.
47 ♫Dustin
48 http://dustin.hatch.name/