From: Stewart Taylor <stewarta.taylor@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] rsync "locks up" and doesn't continue
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 19:09:11
1 Hi
2
3 Don't know if this will help but I had a similar problem when I set up my
4 archiving system. The problem was that I set it to use ssh which needs it own
5 password and the password file was only used by rsync. the answer was to not use
6 ssh and just use rsync client to rsync server. This was just over my lan but it
7 solved the problem.
8
9 HTH
10
11 Stewart.
12
13 Iain Buchanan wrote:
14 > Hi all,
15 >
16 > I have a script that downloads my distfiles from machines on our LAN
17 > before going over the internet. It uses rsync over ssh to get files
18 > locally, then defaults to wget for internet downloads.
19 >
20 > The command line is basically this:
21 > /usr/bin/rsync -avzP --password-file=<filename> rsync://<user>@<host/path> <filename>"
22 >
23 > which works fine most of the time, so I know the syntax, password and
24 > permissions are correct. However, sometimes rsync "dies" (the download
25 > process just stops) and I get this sort of message:
28 > Password: *password sent*
29 >
30 > receiving file list ...
31 > rsync: link_stat "/usr/portage/distfiles/Net-DNS-0.59.tar.gz" failed: No
32 > such file or directory (2)
33 > 0 files to consider
34 >
35 > sent 8 bytes received 21 bytes 58.00 bytes/sec
36 > total size is 0 speedup is 0.00
37 > rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at
38 > main.c(1298) [receiver=2.6.8]
41 > And the download won't continue - nor do I get the prompt back because
42 > rsync seems to lock the script up at this point by not returning. This
43 > is really annoying when it stops at 3 of 50! I don't mind killing it,
44 > but sometimes this is supposed to run unattended...
45 >
46 > Now fair enough, if the file doesn't exist, I can't rsync it, but most
47 > of the time, this makes rsync just exit, and the script continues.
48 >
49 > All I can get from google and docs is that code 23 is a "general" error,
50 > meaning some read / write / delete failed. I'm not out of disk space.
51 >
52 > can anyone shed light on this issue? thanks!
55 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list