From: Charles Marcus <cmarcus@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: emerge --sync vs emerge -sync
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 17:58:01
1 Richard Fish wrote:
2 > On 1/18/06, Charles Marcus <cmarcus@×××××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 >> This may be the ultimate dumb question, but no amount of googling could
4 >> satisfy my ignorance...
5 >>
6 >> Is there any difference? If not, why are the double hyphens almost
7 >> always specified?
8 >
9 > -- is the GNU getopt syntax for long options. For normal GNU programs:
10 >
11 > --opt is processed as a single option ("opt")
12 > -opt is processed as 6 options ('o', 'p', and 't').
13 >
14 > --sync is correct. -sync is wrong and generates an error.
15
16 Ahem... not for me it didn't... thats why I asked - wondered if I may
17 have hosed anything (can't imagine that such a minor, easy-to-make typo
18 would caus ebad things to happen, though).
19
20 Thanks for the detailed explanation, though... now I at least know the
21 differences.
22
23 Now, why did it not generate an error for me, I wonder?
26 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list