From: Vlad Dogaru <ddvlad@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Uninstalling KDE packages
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 20:55:41
Hello,

after some suggestions from the list I finally emerged KDE to give it
another try. Even with 256 MiB of RAM, it works quite acceptably, save
for the startup time. However, I notice it has installed all sorts of
marginally useful and ultimately resource consuming software such as
KWallet. Now, I realise the risks of keeping passwords scattered all
around (sometimes even unencrypted), but in my environment it's not
that great a priority.

I would like to know if unmerging KWallet (also the eduitainment suite
and possibly even Kopette and Konqueror) is safe. How can I tell for
other packages? Is emerge --unmerge enough or do other measures have
to be taken? Also, in the case of a fresh install, how can I choose
what KDE installs? Do I have to run emerge kde, or would kdelibs,
kdebase, etc (along with their dependencies of course) suffice?

Thanks in advance and sorry if I am being ambiguous (it's late)
Vlad

--
How's my English? How about my Netiquette?
Do mail me if something is wrong with my behaviour. Thank you.