From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge default config
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2015 14:23:23
1 Am Fri, 23 Jan 2015 21:30:07 -0500
2 schrieb Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>:
3
4 > On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 7:12 PM, <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > >> On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 5:45 PM, shawn wilson <ag4ve.us@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > >> > Is there a way to have default config lines that emerge updates won't touch?
7 > >> >
8 > >>
9 > >> I'd be interested in hearing about alternatives, but I switched to
10 > >> cfg-update from dispatch-conf and such because it does automatic 3-way
11 > >> merging. It is pretty good about detecting stuff that you customized
12 > >> and auto-merging those lines as long as the upstream file doesn't
13 > >> change. If it does, then you get a 3-way merge in meld or another
14 > >> tool to do the merge. 95% of the time it just automerges all config
15 > >> file updates without any interaction.
16 > >>
17 > >> I inherited maintaining this upstream, so feel free to submit
18 > >> improvements. It is a fairly mature tool but we've had some great
19 > >> contributions to keep it up-to-date with portage/paludis apis.
20 > >
21 > > I was using that, but it didn't do any automatic 3-way merge for me, I
22 > > do everything from a text console. I am now using etc-update which is
23 > > not too bad.
24 >
25 > I'd have to take another look, but I don't think the automatic merge
26 > works unless you're using a 3-way diff tool, and I think those are all
27 > X11.
28
29 The man page to cfg-update says that it needs diff3 for the automatic three-way
30 merge (STAGE2), which is part of diffutils. Interestingly, cfg-update does not
31 depend on diffutils, so maybe you (Covici) just need to install it?
32
33 And for manual three-way merges (STAGE3) there are, at the very least, Vim and
34 Emacs.
37 Marc Joliet
38 --
39 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
40 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup