From: David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: king@××××××××××××.ca
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] newbie broke something
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 11:32:03
1 On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 19:02:10 -0600 (MDT)
2 RYAN vAN GINNEKEN wrote:
3
4 > Hello all gentoo newbie here i did a raid lvm quick install from the
5 > 2008.r1 livecd i must have missed something because i keep getting
6 > rc.conf file from the future errors and my /var directory was empty
7 > so i just uncompressed the stage 3 and recopied /var from stage three
8 > to my own /var. Seemed a bit messy so i figured i would try to clean
9 > things up a bit with emerge --sync emerge --update --deep --newuse
10 > world but i think i broke something
11 >
12 > now when i do an emerge --sync and it tells me to update portage, i
13 > tried to do so but am getting this looooooong error
14 >
15 > Calculating dependencies... done!
16
17 ...[snip]...
18 )
19 >
20 > !!! Note that circular dependencies can often be avoided by
21 > temporarily !!! disabling USE flags that trigger optional
22 > dependencies.
23
24 Two approaches occur to me:
25
26 The circular dependencies are found during the "--deep" check. You
27 _could_ start with "emerge --update world" then do "emerge --update
28 --deep world". The first emerge would do part of the work and the
29 second would (I think, but am not sure) dig deeper and find
30 dependencies. Finally you could do an "emerge --deep --newuse world"
31 to apply your new use flags.
32
33 Alternately you could take the dependency list and create a shell
34 script that would emerge them one by one.
35
36 HTH,
37
38 David